Monday, May 7, 2007

Shonna Ochu (Mrs. Buffalo 2007)





Hello everyone! My name is Shonna May Ochu, Mrs. Buffalo, 2007 (a.k.a. "the queen" to my four children). Yes...I said FOUR! My husband Steve and I have been married for nearly 7 years and have lived in beautiful Buffalo since 2002. We knew each other for a while, but after we had our first "official date", we knew we were meant to spend the rest of our lives together. So here we are; in the suburbs, four kids, one dog, and three cats later living happily ever after.

My children take up a big chunk of my life, well, most of it in fact. They are all so unique and special in their own way. Sylvia is shy, reserved, and loves to read. Grace is is sensitive and selfless (she grows and donates her hair to locks of love with me every two years), Alec is my little man, the All-American-Boy, and Jade, the youngest is our comedian.

Jade has been my greatest teacher and inspiration. She has a very rare blood condition which limits her ability to do many
things that a normal child would do, but she can find the joy in so many things that we all take for granted. She has taught me to not only accept life's flaws, but to embrace them because there is beauty in all that is not perfect.

Aside from my family, I work outside the home for Wright County Child Protection. I do not always like what I see, but I love what I do and couldn't imagine doing anything else. I enjoy volunteering at Children's Hospital in Minneapolis in the ICC and am the Director of Hospitals for the Chloe T. Foundation. It can be easy to get lost in the roles of wife, mother, friend, co-worker, sister, daughter, and more, but first and foremost, I am "me" and need to take time for myself. That time is usually spent at the gym or at home doing pilates, and the occasional shopping spree!

The Chloe T. Foundation is at the center of my platform. Twice per year, we distribute special stuffed animals to all of the hospitalized children across the metro area. We also provide a special bear to the parents of children that have left us much too soon. The animals not only provide comfort to the children that are ill or injured, they also provide comfort to the parents going through the fear, helplessness, and exhaustion that accompanies having a child in the hospital. We are there to give support, and most important, we are there to listen. The non-profit organization was built from the tragic loss of a beautiful little girl, but her legacy lives on in every smile that our animals bring. Never, ever, underestimate the power of a teddy bear!

I am so excited to represent Buffalo for the second time in the Mrs. Minnesota pageant. It was truly a magical experience last year. It was all about walking away knowing I gave it my all and walking away with some of my now closest friends. I only hope some of you new girls will have the same, unforgettalble experience that I did.

XOXO
Shonna
Mrs. Buffalo 2007

1 comment:

Sarah Tichich - Mrs MN United States 07' said...

Shonna,

Best of Luck and look forward to seeing you in June! Go Buffalo:)

Sarah