Friday, May 11, 2007

Bessie Giannakakis (Mrs. Edina 2007)





Hello to everyone! My name is Bessie Giannakakis as Mrs. Edina (yes, a very hard name to spell and pronounce) ☺ I was born in Athens, Greece and Minnesota is now my home. I taught modeling, did many fashion shows and pageants while I was growing up, as well as being an anchor woman on cable news for 9 years. I am fluent in written and spoken Greek, taking six grueling years of Greek school (getting my Bachelor's degree in English was much easier), and if you haven’t yet seen “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” you should rent it, as that was my life growing up. And yes, we still roast a lamb outside in our yard every Easter!

I met my husband, Sam, on the internet on a Greek website, which is something I thought I would NEVER do, but it worked for me. We have been married now for almost 3 years. I am currently a Realtor for Remax in Edina and my husband and I own a custom home building company called Metropolis Custom Homes, LLC. We have two dogs, a maltese named Poochie and a beagle-lab mix named Angel, we love to take walks around the lake and play with them. They are sometimes a handful!

The issue I would champion as Mrs. Minnesota would be to inform and educate adults and youth about emotional and physical abuse in relationships. There are too many men and women who believe there is no way out of an abusive relationship. Statistics show that 1 out of every 4 couples in a relationship will experience some kind of abuse. Through the Mrs. Minnesota-America program, I want to inform men and women that they can recognize what the signs of an abuser are and they can choose to stand up for themselves and leave an unhealthy relationship.

I decided to compete for Mrs. Minnesota-America because I love meeting new people and making new friends. What I love about this particular pageant are all the events that lead up to the big pageant. They are truly a blast and I think many of you will agree. I am very excited to get to know each and every one of you.

Looking forward to having a great time,
Bessie Giannakakis
Mrs. Edina 2007

2 comments:

Sarah Tichich - Mrs MN United States 07' said...

Hi Bessie,

Look forward to seeing you compete in June and Best of Luck!!

Sarah

Frankie Fatality said...

Hello,, Bessie,,,
You're going to waste the competition..
hahaha,, my mum says i cant say,, that they will have to be taken to a garbage dump.. soooo
You're going to smoke themm,,
they will need some ice, for their burns,, LOL

=]

go get 'em Bessie!!