Friday, May 4, 2007

Katina Schroeder (Mrs. Savage 2007)





Hello! I’m Katina Schroeder and I am proud to be Mrs. Savage (my sister misread my sash in a photograph and thought it said “Mrs. Sausage” – ha ha!).

My wonderful husband Michael and I were married on November 12, 2005. Many people believe in “love at first sight,” but we believe in “love at first (web) site" – we met online in 2003! Our evening wedding was held at the beautiful Como Zoo and Conservatory. During the candlelight ceremony, a bright flash of lightning and loud crack of thunder happened right as we were lighting our unity candle. We like to think that we had some extra “heavenly endorsement” for our wedding!

Speaking of zoos, the Schroeder house is always a flurry of activity with our three four-legged “kids” – Basset Hound Mugsy, 6 month-old Pug Spanky and our very large 22 pound cat named Sammy. A newfound “hobby” of mine is buying dog clothes! I also love Japanese anime artwork, eating hot spicy food and sauces (especially wasabi!) and I have traveled to Russia, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Mexico and England. It is a joy being an Aunt to my 5-year-old niece and 1-year old nephew.

Michael is an incredibly talented and creative Art Director at Marketing Arts and I’m an Executive Assistant at Xiotech Corporation. Together we enjoy working out at LifeTime Fitness, remodeling and redecorating our home and keeping each other’s I Pod’s loaded with new and upcoming musical artists.

I received my Bachelor’s degree in English (I’m very proud to have graduated Magna Cum Laude) & my Master’s degree with honors in English Literature from Hamline University in St. Paul, Minnesota. Hamline is the oldest university in the state of Minnesota! I enjoy reading historical fiction and factual history about the wives of the infamous Henry VIII and the reigns of Queen Mary I, Queen Elizabeth I and Marie Antoinette.

As Mrs. Minnesota 2007, I would proactively engage schools to promote children’s literacy. More than any other single skill, the ability to read allows a child to succeed in school, foster creativity and self esteem, learn about the world around them and to function in society as a competent, successful adult. Reading together and sharing books also promotes quality time between parents/caregivers and children. The children’s book “Fossil Detective: Woolly Mammoth” by Dennis Schatz features illustrated drawings of Michael and myself as archeologists!

I competed in my first pageant in 1979 and was chosen Jr. Queen of Spring Lake Park. Another pageant highlight was being crowned Miss Teen Minnesota of the Year 1991. In 2006, I was honored to have placed 3rd runner-up to the Mrs. Minnesota title. I firmly believe that pageants are an excellent avenue for women to continually strive to be their personal best and they also challenge women to successfully balance a healthy lifestyle, family and career. I am truly looking forward to becoming further acquainted with each of the contestants and sharing the joys of being a married woman!

2 comments:

Sarah Tichich - Mrs MN United States 07' said...

Hi Katina,

Best of Luck in June and look forward to watching you compete!

Sarah

krissy704 said...

Go Miss Sausage!! WoOo HoOo! Love ya! Krissy