Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Barbara Kaiser (Mrs. Woodbury 2007)




Greetings from Barbara Kaiser, Mrs. Woodbury 2007! As I look at where I have been, and forward to where I am going, I know I would not be where I am today without the love and support of my family. This has truly become OUR journey. I am blessed to have my wonderful husband, John, and two amazing daughters, Jamie and Brooke, by my side, supporting me through all of life’s new challenges.

Very happily married today to my BEST friend, I cannot say that it was love at first sight for my husband and me. Initially, I tried to avoid him, but his overtures eventually won my heart. His patience paid off, and three and a half years after meeting, we were husband and wife. John and I are not only partners in life, but together we co-manage our company, AmeriSpec, which has sustained Top 10 status as a franchise internationally for the past 9 years.

I have been in the field of ophthalmology for 20 years. In 1990 I became certified with the American Academy of Ophthalmology as an Ophthalmic technician, as well as Certified Eye Enucleator with the U of M. I completed my degree in ophthalmic surgical assisting with the Phillips Eye Institute. For the past 12 years I have been Office Manager at an ophthalmology clinic in Edina, at the office of Dr. Jonathan E. Pederson, M.D.

This will be my first pageant. Being raised with 5 brothers on a farm there were not many chances for sequined dresses and high heels. So this is definitely a new experience for me. What began as a desire to show my daughters a healthier way, with proper diet and exercise, turned into an amazing journey that led to my being runner-up in Oxygen Magazine’s 2007 Body Make-Over Competition.

We are not a family of all work, and no play. John and I enjoy a good game of volleyball with friends in a league. I am always up for a run around Woodbury. Having completed the Twin Cities Marathon twice now in under 4 hours, the running trails are like old friends to me. Thanks again to my husband and daughters for the water stops during training! As a family, you can always catch us at a Twins, Timberwolves, Vikings, or Wild game. But there’s nothing like a family game of Pictionary or PO>KE>NO at home

Jamie is finishing her first year away from home at the University of St. Thomas, and is looking forward to coming home to home-cooked meals! Brooke is busy being 13, text messaging friends, playing volleyball, and guitar lessons. With two teenage daughters I am aware of the pressures they face to conform to the “look of the moment” body image that Hollywood idealizes. I want women of today to know that you can have a career, children, and home life, and still have time for fitness. I firmly believe in leading by example. After mentoring family and friends in health and fitness, I feel ready to take it to a larger scale. With today’s society on the verge of an obesity epidemic, we need to get the message out to “take back our health”. It would be my honor as Mrs. Minnesota to impact individuals, families, and communities through sharing the importance of greater health and fitness for all ages. It is my passion to share this message with others on a daily basis that drives me to become the next Mrs. Minnesota.

Barbara J. Kaiser
Mrs. Woodbury 2007

No comments: